The Rivermill History
Arrowroot was first grown and milled at the Historic Rivermill in 1910,when F.G Walker,who had produced orange wine on the northern bank of the river since 1860 purchased the land from G Bignell who was a dairy farmer.He then proceeded to build the mill and plant out the land with arrowroot.
The first mill was built to operate with steam power,but was renovated and enlarged when converted to electricity in 1932,after which it operated for a further 12 years before closing in 1943,as the industry started to decline.
Historic Rivermill was the first and largest of three mills which operated on the Coomera River.It was part of a thriving industry in the are which boasted of more than 27 mills,none of which are now in operation,the last one at Pimpama closed in 1982.Most have disappeared without a trace,and the land reverted to dairy farms.
This mill too,has been used for various things since 1943 including a cattle stud,dairy farm,timber mill, and a dance hall for occasional army bush dances.Much of the timber was adzed or milled by the walkers at their own mill,so all renovation work had to be individually measured and made to fit.
The Historic Rivermill is now a Wedding and Reception Venue,and a Café and Nursery are added features to the property.The original part of the Rivermill building still stands today,and is a splendid example of bush architecture.This original section of the Historic Rivermill is now a museum which includes some of the agricultural machinery which was used at the mill,as well as numerous antiques.